Monday, April 25, 2011

Magnesium for Menstrual Cramps

I usually have to take ibuprofen for menstrual cramps.  The ibuprofen is supposed to work for an entire 4 hours, but does it really last that long?  No.... Of course it always wears off at 3 hours.

I've found that if I also take magnesium it really helps with my cramps.  I buy this kind: Country Life Chelated Magnesium 250mg and I take one pill once or twice a day.  Yes, the magnesium has the side effect of making me sleepy... but at least I'm not in pain.  No other side effects from the magnesium though. It actually has a pretty calming effect on my mood, and I also occasionally take it for insomnia or for the kind of mood (sometimes a PMS one) where I'm very tearful.  It just seems to help clear up the tears!

Here's a link to someone else who found magnesium helpful for cramps.  My internet searching mostly turns up stuff about magnesium deficiency linked to menstrual cramps, and I don't know if that has anything to do with the efficacy of magnesium..... I think it might have to do with magnesium causing muscle relaxation.

No comments:

Post a Comment