Friday, April 29, 2011

Acidophilus to Prevent Recurrent Yeast Infections

I am prone to yeast infections.  Not just a yeast infection every now and then, but recurrent yeast infections.  Things like stress and eating too much sugar seems to cause them... and sometimes they just happen for no reason at all. 

For many years now I've been taking acidophilus* to prevent them. I take acidophilus every day, and it only takes a few days of missing it before I can feel the early symptoms of yeast coming on.

The thing about acidophilus is that it won't cure a yeast infection that's already pretty bad.  I've had some success with acidophilus stopping the beginning of a yeast infection, but acidophilus works best for me as a preventive.

* The acidophilus I usually take is Natural Factors, Acidophilus & Bifidus, 10 Billion Active Cells,  which I buy it Super Supplements where they keep it in the refrigerator.

* When I travel, I take Healthy Origins Probiotic, 30 Billion CFUs, which doesn't require refrigeration.

I don't know if it's the acidophilus or bifidus that does more for me. There are so many kinds of probiotics and perhaps if I experimented with more brands, I might find one that even works better... But it's costly to do that. So what I did was try to find the one with the most active cells.  

An extra benefit to acidophilus is that it helps me to not be constipated.... I seem to have a tendency to be constipated.  The acidophilus keeps me regular.

Some acidophilus says "take with food" and some says "take away from food."  I generally take mine every night regardless of whether I've eaten or not.  I think it might cause a bit more gas if I take it on an empty stomach, though.  I can't tell which way is more effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment